The English Physitian - 1652
Culpeper, Nicholas, 1616-1654.
The English physitian: or an astrologo-physical discourse of the
vulgar herbs of this nation.
London : Peter Cole, 1652.
8 p.l., 255 p. (i.e. 159 p.),  p., front. (port.)
Pages numbered 1-92, 189-255.
Harvey Cushing's copy.
This electronic version was prepared by Richard Siderits, M.D., and colleagues by
keying from the copy at the Historical Library, Cushing/Whitney
Medical Library, Yale University. Adaptation to HTML by Toby
Return to Electronic Texts in the History of Medicine
The following contents are supplied by the editors:
- Introduction by Richard Siderits
- Frontispiece portrait
- Title page text format/ Title page image
- "TO THE READRR" Culpeper's introduction, 7
- "Authors made use of in this treatise," 1
- "A Catalogue of the Herbs and Plants &c. in
this Treatise, apropriated to their several PLANETS," 3 p.
- Advertisement for books printed by Peter Cole,
1 p. unnumbered
- Descriptions of herbs, pp. 1-92, 189-241
A, pp. 1-10
B, pp. 10-25
C, pp. 25-41
D, pp. 41-45
E-F, pp. 46-57
G-H, pp. 57-68
I-L, pp. 69-75
M, pp. 76-88
N-O, pp. 89-92
P-Q, 92, 189-201
R, pp. 202-211
S, pp. 213-224
T, pp. 224-231
V-Y, pp. 232-241
- Directions for making "Syrups, Conserves,
Oyls, Oyntments, &c. of Herbs, Roots, Flowers &c.", pp. 243-255
- Alphabetical index of diseases, 4 p.
- Repeat of Cole advertisement, 1 p. unnumbered